Cinnamon Maple Energy Bites


I was trying a new recipe from Deliciously Ella, and after tasting the first bite, I knew I'd need a second batch.  First of all they were very good.  Additively good.  Secondly, I realized that my kids would be eating these up very quickly and one recipe only makes 15 bites.  Plus, I could send some off to my daughter in a care package.

My only tip here is to pulse the nuts carefully--only enough to chop them finely.  If you over process you'll have a nut flour, which is not as much fun to eat.  I like the texture and crunch of the chopped nuts.  I modified Ella's recipe to add more dimension with the spices and to substitute ingredients that are low-FODMAP friendly.

Cinnamon Maple Energy Bites
Adapted from Deliciously Ella by Ella Woodward
Makes 15

1 1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1 Tblsp flax seeds
3/4 cup dried fruit (I used a combination of raisins, currants and dried cranberries)
1 Tblsp maple syrup
2 Tblsp almond butter
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp cardamom
dash salt

Place the nuts, pumpkin seeds and flax into a food processor and pulse until they are finely chopped, but not a flour.

Add the dried fruit, maple syrup, almond butter and spices.  Pulse a few more times until well combined.

Scoop 2 teaspoons of the mixture and roll into a ball.  Repeat until all the mixture is used up.  Chill for an hour to set.  Serve or store in the fridge.