Strawberry Rhubarb Cherry Jam


Our rhubarb plant is growing like crazy so the hunt for rhubarb recipes is on!  This is a simple jam recipe that is pectin-free.  My son and I previewed many recipes before choosing this one and noted that Martha Stewart's recipe incorporated blood oranges to lend a nice red color to the jam.  Blood oranges are only available for about two weeks in Minnesota, but I decided we could do the same thing by using dark red cherries.  I think the color is great!

I like to put my jam into these Luminarc glass jars with lids.  I am not a very good canner in that I don't have the patience to sterilize jars and lids.  I just make small quantities and keep the jars in the fridge.  It also helps that I give most of what I make away!

Strawberry Rhubarb Cherry Jam
Makes 3 14-oz jars
Adapted from Allrecipes.com

3 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2" pieces
4 cups sugar
3 cups strawberries, cut into quarters
12 dark red cherries, halved and pitted
1/8 cup lemon juice

Mix the rhubarb and sugar together in a large heavy pot and let stand for at least 2 hours or overnight. Afterwards, stir in the strawberries, cherries and lemon juice. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently to dissolve sugar.  (Careful, this mixture tends to over-boil.)

Continue to boil the jam until thickened, stirring often to prevent scorching, about 30 to 35 minutes. An instant read thermometer inserted into the center of the pot should read 220 degrees F when it is ready.  Keep monitoring the temperature to make sure the jam holds at 220 degrees for at least a full minute.

Remove the jam from the stove top and stir for 3 more minutes.  Skim off any foam and let cool slightly. Transfer warm jam to jars, cover with lids, label and store in the refrigerator.