Indian Rice Pudding


I have tried to make rice pudding over the years, but none of the recipes I tried was that impressive.  When my son found Alton Brown's recipe online and made it for us, I know this one was a keeper.  I love the cardamom and the coconut milk.  I'd say the rest of my family likes it just as well, because it never lasts long.  (I've taken to doubling the recipe.)  Although use of pistachios is probably more authentic, I don't use them and it tastes just fine.

Indian Rice Pudding
From Alton Brown 2004
Serves 4-5

1 cup cooked long grain rice
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/3 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup chopped unsalted pistachios (optional)

In a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat, combine the cooked rice and milk. Heat until the mixture begins to boil.  Decrease the heat to low and simmer until it thickens, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.

Increase the heat to medium, add heavy cream, coconut milk, sugar and cardamom and continue to cook until the mixture begins to thicken again, about 5-10 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in the raisins and pistachios.  Transfer to individual serving dishes and cover with plastic wrap.  Serve chilled.