Beet and Feta Salad


Beets are starting to grow on me.  I never used to be particularly fond of beets, but my husband enjoys them so I try to work them into our diet.  In the past I have thought that if they were easier to prepare, I would be inclined to serve them more often.  Now, some genius at Trader Joe's has realized what has been keeping beets out of our salads, and they sell packages of cooked, peeled beets that make this salad a snap.  Melissa's offers a similar product.  Check the produce aisle of your local grocery store.

Serves 4-5
Adapted from a recipe in Real Simple, May 2010

6 cups of salad greens (spring greens, herb mix, or watercress are all good choices)
15 oz of  whole cooked beets, peeled
1/2 cup crumbled Feta (2 oz)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tsp honey
1/2 shallot, finely chopped
salt
pepper

Slice the beets thinly and combine with the salad greens and feta in a bowl.  Combine oil, lemon juice, honey, shallot, salt and pepper in a jar and shake well.  Dress the salad just before serving.




Beet and Feta Salad