Weeknight Quiche


Mollie Katzen's Enchanted Broccoli Forest cookbook was the first cookbook I ever owned.  I can remember buying it at a bookstore on Spring Street when I was in college.  What possessed me to buy a cookbook when I didn't even have access to a kitchen?  I think I was impressed by the handwritten recipes, the fresh new ideas about cooking.  This was not my mother's cookbook.

One of the recipes that I've used over the years isn't even really a recipe.  It's a formula for making quiche.  Having a formula makes it easy to create a random quiche out of whatever I have in the refrigerator.  Last night it was mushroom, onion and bacon.  Other filling ideas: spinach, mushroom and onion, or broccoli, garlic and ham.  Be creative!

Weeknight Quiche
Adapted from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest by Mollie Katzen
Serves 6-8

one refrigerated pie crust (I like the kind that comes in a roll in the refrigerated dough section)
1 cup grated cheese, such as Gruyère or cheddar
1 1/2 - 2 cups filling (cooked vegetables or minced ham, etc.)
1 cup milk
3 eggs
paprika

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Bring pie crust to room temperature.  Unroll and line a deep-dish pie dish with the crust. Trim and crimp the edges.  Cover the bottom of the crust with the shredded cheese in an even layer.



Prepare your filling.  Chop and cook your vegetables, meat or whatever.  The filling ingredients should be fully cooked.  (Raw ingredients may not have time to cook fully during the baking process.) Add the filling to cover the cheese layer.



Prepare your custard: combine eggs and milk in a bowl, whisk together.  Pour over the contents of the pie plate.  Dust the top with paprika. Tap the bottom of the pie plate against a counter to dislodge any air bubbles.



Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the center does not jiggle when you shake the quiche.  You can also test with a probe thermometer--the center should read 165 degrees.

Let the quiche cool for 10 minutes before serving.