Soba Noodles with Broccoli and Peanut Sauce



My friend, Marguerite, sent me a recipe by email.  "Looks like something you would like," she wrote. And, indeed, it did look interesting.  I decided to make it for dinner. But, I just had to make a few tiny changes to the recipe, originally titled, "Spicy Almond Soba Noodles with Edamame."


First of all it was from a "cooking for one" cookbook by Joe Yonan.  We cook for five here.  So, I grossed everything up and added tofu to the mix for more protein.  Next, I realized that I didn't have almond butter or edamame.  I substituted peanut butter and broccoli.  Since, spicy doesn't sell well at our house, I cut the red pepper flakes.  And finally, after trying Joe's version of almond-now-peanut sauce, I decided that I really preferred a peanut sauce recipe given to me by our friend, Celine, many years ago.

I don't think Joe Yonan would even recognize his own recipe here.

Soba Noodles with Broccoli and Peanut Sauce
Serves 4-6
Adapted from Serve Yourself: Nightly Adventures in Cooking for One

12 oz extra firm tofu
1 Tblsp peanut oil
8.8 oz dried soba noodles  (find these in the Asian food aisle of your grocery store)
2 cups broccoli florets (frozen work fine)
4 Tblsp organic peanut butter
5 Tblsp peanut oil
4 Tblsp soy sauce
4 Tblsp sugar
4 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper (more if you like heat)
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 Tblsp minced green onion
4 Tblsp roasted peanuts, chopped

Cube the tofu and brown it lightly in peanut oil in a heavy skillet over med-low heat, about 8 minutes.

Bring a large pot of water to boil.  Add the soba noodles and cook according to package directions.  Reserve a cup of the boiling water and drain the noodles in a colander.  Return the hot water to the pot and add the broccoli.  Cook briefly until bright green.  Drain over the noodles.

To make the peanut sauce, combine the next nine ingredients in a medium bowl (peanut butter through green onion).  Stir until well-mixed.

To serve, place noodles and broccoli into bowls and spoon tofu cubes over.  Top with peanut sauce and chopped peanuts.