The Incredible Edible Smoothie


I have found that the best way to boost my kids' daily fruit servings is to offer smoothies.  A smoothie is a great breakfast, snack or treat.  I make them with two or three kinds of fruit, ground flax seeds (for omega 3 fatty acids) and enriched soy milk (calcium!)  I don't add sugar and my kids have learned to drink it this way.  It's a little bit like a vitamin, but you could probably find a way to avoid mentioning that when you serve it.


Fruit Smoothie
(makes about 4-6oz servings)

In a blender combine:

1-1/4 cups soy milk or fruit juice
small handful of ice (about 4-5 cubes)
one ripe banana
1 tsp ground flax seed (optional)
1 cup frozen fruit (mixed berries or a combination of peaches and raspberries work well)

Blend.  If the contents are not moving well, stop the blender and use a spoon to clear the blades.  (Add more liquid if that doesn't get things going or if you like a thinner smoothie.)  When well-blended and smooth, pour into small glasses and serve immediately.  I find that using a straw makes this easier to drink.