Barb's Very Excellent Chicken



When we had dinner at Barb's recently, she made some very excellent chicken.  I asked her how she did it. She told me her secret: high heat.  I was at the store buying chicken a couple of days later.  I just had to try this myself!

This is a very simple recipe, but consistently produces very excellent results.  Crispy skin and juicy, tasty meat. Barb didn't use garlic, but I like garlic, so I do.  Try it!



Barb's Very Excellent Chicken
Serves 6
From the mouth of Barb Benn...

2 lbs chicken pieces (skin on) (I use thighs and legs)
kosher salt
garlic powder (check for gluten)
olive oil

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Peel and slice the garlic.

Arrange the chicken pieces, skin side up, in a metal baking pan or tray with low sides.

Rub the chicken skin with olive oil, garlic powder and a generous amount of salt.

Bake until probe thermometer reads 165 degrees in the thickest part of the meat, about 25-30 minutes.  (Don't touch the bone with the probe, that will give you an incorrect reading.)

If the skin is not as crisp as you desire, put the baking pan under the broiler for 2-3 minutes.

Remove from oven and cover with foil. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving for optimal juiciness.