Poached Salmon with Lime-Ginger Sauce



I bought a very expensive piece of salmon and could not bear to cook it in a way that would render it dry and flaky.  This piece of fish was toooo good for that.

I happened upon this recipe for an easy poaching method with a nice light sauce.  Although I had to make some substitutions (thyme instead of basil, ground ginger instead of fresh), it turned out well.  Moist and flavorful!

Poached Salmon with Lime-Ginger Sauce
Adapted from How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman
Serves 4-5

1 lb salmon fillet
1 Tblsp salt
1/2 Tblsp grated fresh ginger (I used ginger powder, but fresh would be better)
1 Tblsp vegetable oil
1 Tblsp soy sauce (use gluten-free soy sauce for a gluten-free version)
3 Tblsp lime juice (fresh squeezed is best)
1 1/2 Tblsp minced fresh basil leaves  (I used thyme because that is what I had on hand, and it was fine.)

Place salmon in a deep roasting pan.  Cover with cold water and add salt.  Bring the water to a full boil, then cover, turn off the heat and let the salmon sit in the hot water for 10 minutes.  Check for doneness by cutting into the center with a thin knife.

While the fish poaches, make the sauce by whisking together the ginger, oil, soy, lime juice and fresh herbs.  (Really, the thyme tasted fine.)

Remove the fish c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y from the water to a rimmed serving platter.  (I recommend using two spatulas for this job.  See photo above for an example of what can happen if you are not careful in transferring the fillet. Sigh.  I never said I was perfect!)  Drizzle sauce over the fish.  Serve.