Moroccan-Style Carrot Salad


Carrots are good for you!  This is part of my "eat more carrots" campaign.  My kids give this recipe the thumbs-up!  I served to a couple of 13-year olds (not related to me) and they liked it, too.


I've made this recipe several times and I've never managed to save 3 tablespoons of orange juice when I segment my oranges, as the recipe suggests.  Maybe my oranges are not juicy enough, I don't know.  Just have some orange juice handy, or squeeze half of another orange and everything will be fine.


Moroccan-Style Carrot Salad
Serves 6
Adapted from Cooks Illustrated, April 2008

1 pound carrots (about 6 medium), peeled coarsely grated (I use a food processor)
2 medium seedless oranges, peeled and segmented, 3 tablespoons juice reserved
3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 Tblsp juice from 1 lemon
1 tsp honey
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (see note)
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon


Toss the grated carrots, orange pieces, and cilantro together in a large bowl. Whisk the reserved orange juice, oil, lemon juice, honey, cumin, salt, cayenne and cinnamon together, then pour over the carrot mixture and toss to coat.

Let the salad sit until liquid starts to pool in the bottom of the bowl, about 3 minutes. Transfer the salad to a fine-mesh strainer set over a large bowl and let drain for 2 minutes. Transfer the salad to a serving bowl, discard the strained juices, and serve. (The salad can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 2 days.)