Chicken Sancocho



Sancocho is a chicken stew made with plantains and yucca that is served with a tomato-onion sauce.  I've only recently realized that this is a typical Colombian dish.  (My mother would be proud.)  When I originally found this recipe, I thought it was Mexican.

Yucca can be hard to find.  It's also known as cassava.  Try a Latino or an Asian grocery store.  (They are usually waxed and will keep in your crisper f-o-r-e-v-e-r, so I usually buy one when I see them.)

Corn on the cob is also not easy to find in Minnesota in January.  I skipped the corn this time.  I give you permission to do the same, though I think it is better with corn.

Chicken Sancocho
Serves 6

2 medium onions, chopped, divided
4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
1 quart chicken broth (check for gluten)
1 3-lb broiler chicken, cut into pieces  (or 3 lb of chicken parts)
2 plantains, peeled and cut into thick chunks
2 ears of corn cut into eighths
1 large yucca, peeled and cut into large pieces
3 carrots, cut into fourths
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 tsp cumin
2-3 tomatoes, diced
olive oil
salt and pepper
fresh lime wedges

Brown half of the onions and half the garlic in oil in a large soup pot.  Add 1 quart water and broth. Bring to a boil and add chicken.  Cover and reduce heat 10 minutes.

Add plantains and corn.  Simmer 5 minutes.

Add yucca, carrots, and cilantro.  Simmer 40 minutes.

In a skillet heat some oil and fry the remaining onion and garlic.  Add tomatoes and cook 2-3 minutes.  Stir in cumin, salt and pepper.

Spoon tomato mixture over each bowl of stew and serve, garnished with additional chopped cilantro and a lime wedge on the side.  Squeeze the juice over the soup and enjoy!